SC - alcohol reimbursements

Maddie Teller-Kook meadhbh at io.com
Tue Jan 27 14:47:48 PST 1998

Hello all!  According to Barbara Santich's THE ORIGINAL MEDITERRANEAN
CUISINE, bread was a staple of the Mediterranean diet.  In there she
quotes Platina's De Honesta Voluptate:

I recommend to anyone who is a baker that he use flour from wheat meal,
well ground, and then passed through a fine sieve to sift it; then put
it in a bread pan with warm water, to which has been added salt, after
the manner of the people of Ferrari in Italy.  After adding the right
amount of leaven, keep it in a damp place if you can and let it rise.
That is the way bread can be made without much difficulty.  let the
baker beware not to use more or less leaven than he should; in the
former instance, the bread will take on a sour taste, and in the latter,
it becomes heavy and unhealthful and is not readily digested,  The bread
should be well baked in an oven, and not on the same day; bread from
fresh flour is most nourishing of all, and should be baked slowly.

Now, I remember, vaguely, a conversation about bread making months ago.
But can't remember much of it.  Could someone out there (bakers beware)
help me in redacting this recipe.  I am not much of a baker and don't
want to ruin 28 loaves of bread to test out all the possibilities.

Murkial af Maun

Christi Redeker
Digital Equipment Corporation
Colorado Springs, Colorado