SC - [fwd] Medieval pasta

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jan 27 21:24:48 PST 1998

In a message dated 1/27/98 1:35:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com writes:

<< Once again it looks like Ld. Ras and myself are at loggerheads. :-{)}>>

Oh, no!!! Not loggerheads! Not again! Woe is me! Doom and dispare. :-0

 << My apologies but I do not find this trend as "positive". I have already
stated
 my personal preference for hosting all comers to an event. >>

The positive side was meant to convey the thought that at least the Kitchen
can preplan with some semblance of peace of mind. Certainly from a viewpoint
of historical accuracy, yours is the more correst and commendable. No
apologies necessary. I would gently remind you though that if historical
accuracy is the issue then the lord of the manner should be providing all the
food for  guests thus relieving the cooks of any headaches regarding budget.
;-)

<<But I must admit that we do not have breakfast or lunch boards>>

Bummer.

<< I don't see how having period and period-like food for 400 is any different
than
 having non-period food. The converse being I don't know why you should only
serve
 half of the people if you are doing period food?>>

Well, now that you mention it, I must have had some reason to write that but
it escapes me now. ;-) I would point out that having a set limit of say 200
on-board reservations @ say 5 dollars a head provides you with a feast budget
of $1000. Since multiple courses are the exception rather than the rule at
most events I have attended (e.g. 3 or 4 courses with 3 or 4 dishes in each
course plus subtleties and desserts, you can see how having a set number of
servings can be a great boon to the Kitchen co-ordinator. The number of
feasters is usually limited to the number the feast hall will sit.

 << You have my total agreement in this case.>>

Thank Goddess, someone agrees with something I've said! <swooning> What with
the alcohol contreversy (which by the way also put the cabash on our 8 year
old brewer's guild) and the genetics thingy, I thought maybe no one agreed
with me anymore. :-)

  <<Again I must disagree. In Ansteorra it is almost a duty for the Crown to
attend
 feast>>

Without further comment, I think Adamtius has a tale to tell in that area. :-)
Although I do agree that it is their duty. I also would modify my former
statement to say that if the Crown showed up and had not pre-registered, I
would feel it my personal duty and obligation to see that they were fed even
if I had to pay for it myself.

<<This is Interkingdom Anthropology time >>

And I certainly am learning about Ansteorra and it's inhabitants during the
past 2 days.....perhaps more than I would like to if you know what I
mean....:-0

<< I hold Ld. Ras in the highest respect and am only showing a different side
of the
 issue.>>

As I do you. I'm very relieved to know this wasn't a persona; attack. After
yesterday and today, I don't think I could stand up to the strain.

<< Ras>>

I might have to change my name shortly or I shall perpetually be relegated to
the ranks of Lord. :-0 I still can't believe that that person would dare to
send my comments to an internet list-serve to the BoD. The gall !!!! :-0

 <<Yers,

 Gunthar >>

Ras (at least for the time being. :-0)