SC - quail eggs

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Jan 28 21:23:05 PST 1998

I was asked to post the recipe for Potaje de Fideos.  This is from
the 1529 edition of the Spanish "Libro de Guisados" by Ruperto de
Nola.  The translation is mine.

POTAJE DE FIDEOS* (Pottage of Noodles)

Clean the fideos of the dirt which they have** and when they are well
cleaned put them on the fire in a very clean pot with good fatty
broth of chicken or mutton which is well salted and when the
broth begins to boil, cast the fideos in the pot with a piece of
sugar, and when they are more than half cooked, cast into the pot
with the chicken or mutton broth, milk of goats or sheep, or in place
of those, almond milk, for that can never be lacking, and cook it all
well together, and when the fideos are cooked remove the pot from the
fire and let it rest a bit and prepare dishes, casting sugar and
cinnamon upon them; but as I have said in the chapter on rice, there
are many who say concerning pottages of this kind which are cooked
with meat broth that one should cast in neither sugar nor milk, but
this is according to each one's appetite, and in truth, with fideos
or rice cooked with meat broth, it is better to cast grated cheese on
the dishes, which is very good.

* My modern Spanish dictionary translate "fideos" as "vermicelli"; I
do not know what medieval fideos were like.

**I suspect this phrase is a scribal error.  An almost identical
phrase is at the beginning of the previous recipe, which is for baked
rice.  *There* it makes sense; even today, packages of rice
have instructions to check it for small pebbles and other
impurities.  I cannot see why pasta would need cleaning.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net