SC - Re:Feast planning

Gedney, Jeff Gedney.J at tempphd1.com
Thu Jan 29 06:32:14 PST 1998

Mordonnade wrote:

> <<
>  : Is there any interest in discussing how to make this part of a feast
>  : (carving and serving) more “medieval”? >>
>
> Well, group?
> I for one am vastly interested.  I am here to learn.

Greetings unto the List,

In regards to trying to make the serving at a feast more "medieval", last Nov. I
volunteered to be in charge of the servers at an AnTirian Crown Council.  Here
is what I came up with.

The hall had 20 round tables which seated 8 people lined up on either side of
the hall and 1 long rectangular table used for the High Table which seated 10
people at the head of the hall.  The High Table was on an 18" raised platform
with an large open space in front (for various entertainments) and a round
"Presentation" table to the right.

I had one server per table plus about five "extra" servers who helped out where
it was needed.  The High Table was served by the Baron and Baroness of the area
plus a Carver (a Knight of the area) and a Steward (a Pelican of the area).  The
Carver was responsible for the presentation and carving of the meat of each
course.  The Steward was responsible for the drinks for the High Table.

The presentation of _each_ course to the High Table was as follows:   Each dish
of the course was carried out  by one server with the meat dish last in line.
The servers processed up the middle aisle towards the High Table, they stopped
at the edge of the open space where they reverenced while the dish was announced
to the populace by a Herald.  They then set the dishes on the table except for
the meat dish which was placed on the Presentation table to be carved and served
with all the appropriate pomp and circumstance.

The above presentation was done before the populace was served because each
course was to be approved by the Crowns.  Once approved the King gave leave for
the populace to be served.  Again this was done with all the appropriate pomp
and circumstance.

I believe that the feast and service with well with only a few bottlenecks.  I
did not hear any major complaints about the different serving style and I got
some compliments.  It was also very fun to watch a whole roast pig being brought
out presented and carved in front of everyone.

I would also like to say that I could not have done this without the full
support of my Barony.  (Especially since I was 9, yes 9, months pregnant at the
time and I think my whole Barony was baby-sitting me!! : ' ))

Yours in Service,

Lady Ariadne Melissena
Barony of Three Mountains
An Tir