SC - Authenticity-OOP/OT

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jan 30 16:15:24 PST 1998

In a message dated 1/30/98 12:02:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, mtraber at juno.com
writes:

<< depends on the type of vinegar, i use cider vice distilled vinegar in my
 Middle Eastern cooking, and frequently balsamic as well. imho, distilled
 vinegar is too sharp to replicate a nondistilled vinegar, and cider and
 balsamic are both aged vinegars and have softened in flavor as they would
 have in the middle ages. >>

I also use cider vinegar.  I don't make my own though.  (No place for the
barrel. ) We used to make it on the farm.  I RARELY use distilled vinegar as I
find the flavor to be less than desirable for most recipes.  I currently have
cider, balsamic, distilled white, red wine, white wine, and several flavored
vinegars in my larder.  Each of which is indispensable in it's proper place.

BTW, I uncorked a bottle of garlic/herb vinegar yesterday that Lady Aoife had
gifted me with at the Roc feast and found it superb sprinkled over the
dandelion greens I had cooked with a little bacon in them. Thanks. ;-)

Ras