SC - Margali's Eggplant (Imam Bayaldi)

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Thu Jan 1 18:45:45 PST 1998

Hah! I knew if I cleaned out from under my bed I'd find it!!!!

*Patlican Imam Bayaldi (Fainting Imam)*(see recipe for Sesame candy in
another post for source information --it's not period as written, however.
If that bugs you, read no farther)

**According to legend, the Imam, or Moslem priest, was so enchanted by this
stuffed eggplant, he swooned.

8 japanese eggplants
3 medium onions
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 medium green or red bell peppers cut in 3"x1/4" strips
1 small red or yellow hot pepper, seeded, minced
2 tablspoons chopped fresh parsley
5 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups beef broth or chicken broth
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon sugar

Rinse eggplants and pat dry. Slit each eggplant lengthwise from end to end
almost all the way through. Cut onions in half lengthwise, then slice to
make long, thin strips. heat vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add
eggplants. Cook over medium-high heat, turning frequently to blister on all
sides, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Add onion strips, half the
tomatoes, bell peppers, hot pepper, parsley, garlic, salt, and black pepper.
Saute until onions are barely tender. Set. aside. Pre-heat oven to 350
degrees F (175C). Grease large baking pan. Place eggplants in prepared
baking pan slit-side up. Spoon onion mixture into each slit, pressing with
spoon to pack tightly. Sprinkle stuffing with olive oil. Top with remaining
tomatoes. Pour broth into pan. Sprinkle eggplants with lemon juice and
sugar. Cover. bake 40 minutes to 1 hour or until eggplants and stuffing are
very soft. Makes 8 servings.

**This statement appears under the title of the recipe, unsubstantiated.
*As you can see, it's not a period recipe. I am wondering....I seem to
remember a stuffed eggplant recipe in the Miscellany. I'll have to go back
and look.

Aoife