SC - open fire cooking

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Tue Jan 6 20:13:41 PST 1998

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> frypan looks a lot like a round bit of metal with a handle, or there are
> examples of medieval grills - stirps of metal rivetted together to make
> the right shape. At least one (Mastermyr Tools etc, I think - Norway??)
> had a chain from the corners, so it could be hung from a tallish tripod
> or a chain off the roof or a big timber A frame.

According to the sources I have the "grill" from Maestermyr (Gotland)
wasn't a grill per se but for illumination: you suspended the grill at a
suitable height, and burned pitchwood on it. If this makes more sense
than a barbeque implement is -- in my mind -- an open question.

> The general trick with the fire is to be producing coals at one end, and
> moving them as required to the other end where the cooking takes place.

Or using smallish firewood and replenishing it frequently. I personally
prefer cooking with lots of small sticks ("squaw-wood") rather than coals.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
Medente plues de son doi leur chala les marrapards.