SC - Kraut

Mordonnade Mordonnade at aol.com
Wed Jan 14 05:08:40 PST 1998

<<
 Send again please?

After several posts like this I'll try again.
These are a few recipes from my Mother-in-law (who is 95 this year)

Kraut

To make a good kraut:
5 large, firm heads of cabbage
coarse salt

Chop or shred cabbage, Layer in a large crockery urn with salt (about three
hands full of cabbage to one of salt.  cover with a square of gauze or
cheesecloth.  Put a saucer on top with a large clean stone (about a pound) on
top.  Cover urn with a loose lid.  Allow to stand in a dark, cool but not cold
area for at least three weeks.
(mundane note:  When well pickled we canned them by waterpak method)

Pigtail and Kraut

1 pigtail
1 liter Kraut
1 cup flour
pepper

Boil pigtail in just enough water to cover until it is falling from the bone.
Drain and rinse Kraut and add to the pigtail.  Make a thick dough from the
flour and a bit of water and add as dumplings to the pot.  Allow to cook a few
minutes until dumplings are done.

Liver Nips

2-3 pound good fatty roast
1 tablespoon salt
2 large onions
2 cloves garlic

boil roast in enough water to cover with chopped salt, onions and garlic until
it is falling from the bone.  Remove meat and place in a hot oven to brown.

1 calf's liver
1 piece of suet about the size of a walnut
2 cups flour

Force the liver and suet through a ricer,  Mix with flour with enough stock to
form a thick dough.  Nip dough into dumplings with your fingers and drop into
boiling stock .  Boil until dumplings are done and broth is beginning to
thicken.  Serve with roast.

Now, how period, and can they be made period?

Mordonna