SC - SC-German food in period

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Jan 14 08:32:02 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie

We're gearing up for our annual Blow all the Stops out Baronial Banquet.
This year the theme is German. We've been testing recipes and playing will
all kinds of fun food with some mixed success. One question came up...

What is it that would define medieval German food? Medieval French food for
example, is defined by a lack of vegetable recipes, meats tending to be
roasted or minced and stewed with onions, spicing tends toward the poudre
forte, and the souring agent tends to be vinegar or verjuice. The palate is
clearly defined...I can taste something and tell you that it tastes like
medieval French food. Medieval Islamic uses a lot of coriander and cumin
and lamb and rosewater and honey (not neccessarily all together, silly!).

So far we've seen no such trend in our German research. So, here's a
puzzle...what would define medieval German food? What makes it so folks in
the know would say "yep, that's German". Modern German food seems to have
little in common with medieval german (not a single sausage or kraut recipe
to be found in the corpus! :)), so that's a dead end.

Ideas? Oh and if you have kick butt medieval German recipes you'd like to
share, I'm all ears.
Thanks!
- --Anne-Marie in Madrone, An Tir.