SC - Brandy

Crystal A. Isaac crystal at pdr-is.com
Mon Jan 19 16:37:36 PST 1998

I have to disagree with you, Lord Ras.

According to Gregory Austin's (who I admit is a doubious source, he
reiles *far* too much on poorly documented teriary sources) survey,
_Alcohol in Western Society_ in 1400's Germany it was illegal to serve
brandy to your guests. This was some sort of supmtuary law as well as
trying to limit public drunkeness. There is also some documentation for
excessive brandy drinking in Italy.

There are instructions for distilling in Curye on Inglysch, I think some
cooks would have made brandy to produce the famous fire breathing
subitiles.

I'll argue more tomorrow after looking at my sources tonight.

Crystal of the Westermark

LrdRas wrote:

> In a message dated 1/19/98 1:04:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, stefan at texas.net
> writes:
> << When is the first evidence of brandy being used in food?

snip
I (Crystal) know of none in the middle ages. Bue I'm sure I just haven't
found it yet.