SC - Phyllo mushroom pas

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Wed Jan 21 09:17:46 PST 1998

                      RE>SC - Phyllo mushroom pasties              1/21/98

<snip>Certainly phyllo-based hors doeuvres can be frozen and baked
without thawing, since the moisture content of the pastry is quite low.Really
large phyllo-based pastries tend to become soggy, often whether they're thawed
first or not.
<snip>

If you sautee the mushrooms for the filling instead of parboiling, then you
can lower the liquid content of the filling also.  I seem to remember the
argument that parboiling of mushrooms in period recipes was to either soften
tough wild mushrooms, or re-constitute dried ones, and wasn't needed with
modern store bought and fresh tender mushrooms... but I can't remember where I
heard that...
- -brid