SC - recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jan 26 22:59:23 PST 1998

Angeline said:

I am cooking my first event, and want to include some vegetarian dishes.

I'm not a vegetarian so I asked some one in the group who is and she
suggested green pepper stuffed with barley.

I think I read somewhere that green peppers are not period, so I was
thinking of just making a barley dish, but I don't know of any recipes
for
a barley dish.

I was told Green peppers are a New World item when I mentioned a
friend’s
allergies to them here a while back.
<<<<<

Does anyone have any suggestions for a barley dish, or some other
vegetarian recipes.  I already have salad, rice(plain no chicken broth),

carrots, mushroom pies(made with cheese) , and Fennel Soup on the menu.

You might want to take a look at this file in the FOOD section of my
Florilegium:
vegetarian-msg    (37K)  1/20/98    Medieval vegetarianism. Lenten
foods.

There were some barley recipes given out on this list earlier this year,
but
I’ve not yet put the ones I saved into a file.

You might also want to look at these files:
turnips-msg       (31K) 10/31/97    Turnips in period. Recipes.
vegetables-msg    (78K)  1/15/97    Period vegeatbles. Recipes.
root-veg-msg      (42K) 12/29/97    Medieval and period root vegetables.

salads-msg        (64K) 12/ 3/97    Period salads. lettuce, greens.
rec-leeks-msg     (17K) 11/19/97    Recipes for dishes using leeks.
mushrooms-msg     (45K)  6/19/97    Period mushrooms. Recipes.
beans-msg         (58K) 12/30/97    Medieval, old-world beans and peas.
Recipes.

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

You might also consider Gunthar’s green bean recipe that he served at
12th
Night recently. I liked it and I don’t especially like vegetables. My
wife
said they were her favorite dish at the feast.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net