SC - Glogg

Feenercrai at aol.com Feenercrai at aol.com
Mon Jan 26 08:10:04 PST 1998

Since I haven't seen any responses to the Glogg question (I could have missed
them in recent days, too much mail, etc,etc) I thought I should say something.
Apologies if I'm going over other people's info.
Glogg is very related to Gluhwein (also has dots over the u).  It is also very
very closely related to Hyppocras (Ippocras or Ypocras).  They are all hot
spiced wines, with, in modern times an amazing number of variations.  Some
variations are using brandied cherries, vodka-soaked bluberries, plus the
almond variations.  It's too late to make a research trip this year ;), but
gluhwein is very popular at the Christmas markets in Germany (Weihnachtsmarkts
- - outdoor evening markets where people stroll, drink gluhwine and sometimes
buy traditional goods). . .
There is a recipe in "Curye on Inglysch" that is fairly easy to redact (Book
5, recipe 5).  It calls for cinnamon, ginger, long pepper, cloves, nutmeg,
caraway, spikenard, galingale, and sugar. Recipe #199 in Book 4 adds to those
ingredients marjoram, cardamom, and grains of paradise.  There are more
variations in other period cookbooks as well, some which call for fewer
spices, btw.
Modern recipes call for cinnamon, cloves, ginger, orange or lemon peel, or
orange slices, plus sugar.  Some call for some apple slices or juice, and some
call for almonds, as well.
I'm not giving quantities because there are many variations, plus the amount
of spicing and sugar depends on the wine you use for a base.  If you want a
fairly specific recipe, or two, email me.
Hope this is useful!

Juliana