SC - bustard

Dan Gillespie dangilsp at intrepid.net
Mon Jan 12 15:20:23 PST 1998

Hello from Sylvan Glen:
        There is a recipe in the 1607 Arte de Cozina cookbook that I've been
looking at for a while.  It is for a roasted bustard with a sauce.  Bustards
are large ground dwelling birds that are omnivorous & live in the Old World.
I've been trying to figure out what sort of fowl might make a decent
substitute for  what I've found to be an endangered species.  Does anyone
know if you can get free-range turkeys from a health food store or specialty
butcher?  Perhaps guinea fowl?  Wild turkey seems like a decent match, but
I'm not much of a hunter.  Any other ideas would be muchly appreciated.
                        Off to go redact some recipes,
                                                Antoine
Dan Gillespie
dangilsp at intrepid.net