SC - More Sourdough Woes

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Wed Jul 8 08:39:46 PDT 1998

Yeldham, Caroline S wrote:

>         Bean bread is a bread made partially with bean flour (pea flour
> was used similarly).  Certainly by the 15th century it was regarded as a
> food of poverty and/or shortage and was not popular - there was pressure
> from workers to recieve white wheaten flour (even wholemeal bread wasn't
> popular) - see Christopher Dyer 'Everyday Life in Later Medieval
> England'.

Bean flour was sometimes mixed with wheat or barley for bread,
especially among the poorer classes (when they ate bread at all: usually
it was pulse porridge) in Rome and environs, prior to the fall of the
empire.

Now here's my question for you: has anybody in your outfit tried making
bean butter? Andrew Boorde refers to it in his "Dietery of Helth", late
15th century, I recall, but gives no recipe. It's tempting to assume it
was made like almond butter, i.e. thickened/coagulated almond milk, only
from beans, which would make it something like soft bean curd. This is
one of those things I've put on my long list of things to experiement
with when I have time...hah!!!

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com