FW: SC - Yikes! I'm teaching a class!

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Thu Jul 9 23:57:58 PDT 1998

UlfR,

Thanks for the great suggestions,

> Hmm, if I was in your situation (YMMV, and all that) I'd start them
> off
> with simple things. To me this means food from the (early) medieval
> period: the classic BG stuff.  Stuff that can be made on the level of
> chop into pieces, put into pot with stock/water & spices, boil until
> done. E.g.  "Potage from meat", "Lamb or mutton stew".

I was trying to steer clear of the high meat content dishes for
financial reasons (student budgets) and these seem to be more than
adequately catered for currently at Potlucks.  In fact most potlucks I
have been too seem to consist of chicken, meat dishes, chicken, sliced
fresh fruit, chicken and chunks of cheese.

> Other than that you could try one of the "spinach" tartes, which is
> good
> and easy to get the "yikes, strange food" crowd to eat. And why not a
> cheesecake? Also one of the "mac & cheese" versions (which has the
> added
> benefit on being fairly easy on student budgets).

I'm sorry I don't understand the Mac & Cheese reference?

> Bread? Might be on the hard side, but still...

Definitely too advanced for this crowd (too advanced for me as yet ....)

This is a real newbie group and I am trying to show them that it is
easy, inexpensive and not time-consuming to bring SOMETHING period (or
periodish) to a potluck (that isn't chicken, bought bread loaves or
hunks of cheese)......

> Are you doing this as hands on in a kitchen, or are you doing it with
> lecture and handouts?

Combination of both.  It will be hands-on in my kitchen and the edible
results will be taken to the pot-luck feast the college is running that
night.  I will also be providing handouts of all of the recipes we try
so they can make them again at home.

Most of the pot-lucks I have been to are very heavily chicken and meat
oriented, so I thought I would start by showing them some condiments and
some sweet stuff.  One of the other recipes I forgot to mention was
ember day tarts - something easy for vegetarians to make ....

I was also considering the Sekanjabin as a way to get the Coke (tm) cans
off the tables ......

	Does this clarify my aims a little .......

	I am not a *great* cook myself but as I have only been in the
society for 4 years the college seneschal thought I would be more
appropriate (i.e. less intimidating) to teach newbies than some of the
really good cooks in my group.

	Meliora.