FW: SC - Yikes! I'm teaching a class!

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Fri Jul 10 00:56:08 PDT 1998

<<
 If anyone has sure-fire recipe even a stick jock wannabe can cook, I'd love
 hear it. If anyone had taught teens other than their own, please pass on tips
 on that subject as well!

 Many thanks,

 Bonne >>

      Hummmm, I was paging through my well-worn copy of the Miscellany today,
looking for stuff for our shire picnic this weekend, so a few things come to
mind. Easiest of all, *if* the kids in question like things like pesto sauce,
would be the garlic sauce recipes served over noodles (Or perhaps roast
chicken, if the budget can handle it.) It doesn't need cooking at all--just
grinding in the blender or food processor.

      A Garlic Sauce with Walnuts or Almonds

Platina book 8

To almonds or walnuts that have been coarsely ground add as much cleaned
garlic as you like and likewise, as need be, grind them up well, sprinkling
them all the while so they do not make oil. When they are ground up put in
white breadcrumbs softened in juice of meat or fish, and grind again. And if
it seems too stiff it can be softened easily in the same juice. (See next
recipe.)

A More Colored Garlic Sauce

Platina book 8

Prepare this in the same way as above. But do not moisten it in water or
juice, but in must of dark grapes, squeezed by hand and cooked down for half
an hour. The same can be done with juice of cherries.

1/8 c walnuts
1/2 T garlic
1/4 c bread crumbs
about 1 1/2 c grape juice, then boil it down.
about 4-6 t vinegar
1/4 c water

      For that matter, one of the pasta-and-cheese recipes would be a nice,
easy, and familiar start. And, at least to me, the Benes yfryed recipe seems
dead easy. Cook beans until done (Limas make a reasonable substitute if favas
are unavailable or too "weird" ;-) ), strain and saute' in oil with chopped
onions and garlic. The dusting of powder douce to finish can be ommited if
prefered--I don't care for it much in this case, myself.
     Spinach tarts are also simple if you use frozen spinach and pie shells.
Thaw the spinach, press the moisture out of it, saute' (That word again! Well,
just tell 'em to fry it. Even the younger kids know what that means....... ;-)
) in butter with spices to taste, put it in a pie shell and bake it. I seem to
remember other recipes that have either cheese or eggs included also, but I'm
not sure from whence they might have come............
     A number of the desserts are easy, too--and, if you can get the equipment
on hand, doing the "period funnelcakes" would be great fun! I swear one of
these years I'm going to set up as a food merchant beside the tourney field
and sell these--I have a feeling it would be *very*

     Hope one or two of these ideas will appeal to your crowd--and good luck
with the class!

      Ldy Diana, who *should* be working on the class *she's* teaching Mon.
instead of playing with cookbooks!
Vulpine Reach, Meridies