SC - Jerked Meat

catherine allison cra4774 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 13 00:14:37 PDT 1998

Rebecca E Tants wrote:

> Hi Folks -
>
> Well, it's July, time to start planning for my February event.  Once
> again I'm cooking the Feast of the Seven Deadly Sins, but the autocrat
> and I were thinking of combining that with a sub-theme of Shrove Tuesday
> (on the theory that they wanted to get all 7 sins out of the way before
> lent :-).
>
> I've grabbed the holidays note out of the Florigium, but was wondering
> if anyone could point me to any other online or book sources to research
> the holiday in all countries, although we are looking for the most
> decadent of the bunch!

It would seem some of the French Mardi Gras dishes that have survivied
to this day be tailor-made for what you want to do. I do know that in
Ireland (possibly the last place on earth where Shrove Tuesday is
celebrated under that name) it is customary to eat pancakes for tea on
Shrove Tuesday, presumably a throwback to the fairly pan-European habit
of eating various types of fritters and beignets, fried in fat, on Fat
Tuesday.

Not necessarily a period dish, but I'd think fried oysters might be an
interesting dish combining Mardi Gras customs and a 7 deadly sins
motif...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com