SC - RE: sca-cooks V1 #817

Brian Songy bxs3829 at usl.edu
Mon Jul 13 08:56:38 PDT 1998

> Can I use it in my bread machine? Hey, I've never been a baker but I'm
> trying to
> learn.
>
> Yers,
>
> Gunthar

Since I don't use bread machines, I really can't say, but 1 cup of starter
is approximately 1/2 cup water and 1 cup of flour, so you can use that to
estimate the amounts required by a bread machine recipe.  For a standard
bread recipe, a first rise will be about 4 times slower than the rise from
using dry active yeast.  Were I using a bread machine, I would make a few
loaves starting the baking manually until I got a feel for the timing of the
rise.

Bear