SC - Pancake Races

geneviamoas@juno.com geneviamoas at juno.com
Mon Jul 13 16:25:56 PDT 1998

> While excess calcium is a common cause of kidney stones, it is not the only
>  agent.  If you have not done so, I would suggest you talk to your doctor
>  about a serum test and a 24 hour urine test to determine the precise causes
>  for your condition.  Correcting the problem can be as simple as increasing
>  fluid intake or modifying the body chemistry to prevent certain minerals
>  from being retained in the kidneys.
>
>  Bear

Living in the middle of "Kidney Stone Country" Don't I know it. The
traditional Southern diet has a lot of dairy, combined with gallons of iced
tea. Seems the two combine to make a wonderful calcium compound that LOVES to
collect in our uninary tract. What do we do? I personally drink more water
than tea. Some of us suffer, some of us adapt.

As to the calcium thing... all the evidance isn't in yet, but there is some
thought that your body will need less calcium intake if it's not processing
meat protein, therefore it won't leach it out of your bones and teeth. In
other words, a low or non meat diet seems to help osteoparosis, especially in
older women, the most prone group. Just bouncing points off the wall here.
All in all I wouldn't do anything radical until I've talked with a Doctor (And
those of you who know me know how I bit my lip on that one).

Corwyn