SC - sign-on package?

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jul 17 08:52:44 PDT 1998

CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:

> I always considered the fact that they made armor for younger nobels, and this
> armor was of course, made to size.. it was also less used than the adult sized
> armor, and therefore survived to be exhibited. That was my shot in the dark,
> as I was at first confused by their finding size 12 shoes at digs around
> Hadrian's wall and in the Thames sites. As I wear a size ten, at least SOME of
> those people were bigger than me. This is going to up the "average" height a
> bit.
>
> Corwyn

Maybe, but I recall Roman historians like Tacitus and Caesar himself,
IIRC, claiming that the northern barbarians in Germany and Britain were
often giants of over six feet tall (and the Roman "foot" is a bit
smaller than the English one).

Other possibilities might be that factory-made sandals (there are some
who'd call caligae boots, but I'm not one of them) might be made
somewhat larger to accomodate several different sizes, not to mention
the fact that the soldiers at Hadrian's wall are believed to have worn
thick woolen socks under their caligae. Finally, there is the fact that
leather that has been found in such digs is known to have shrunken, and
in some cases, expanded, greatly, due to moisture and chemicals
dissolved in the ground water.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com