SC - sausage recipe

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Fri Jul 17 14:57:44 PDT 1998

Hello!  I found these in Plat's Delights for Ladies, 1609:

24. Flesh kept sweet in summer.
You may keep Veal, Mutton, or Venison in the heat of Summer ix or x daies
good, so as it be newly and fair killed, by hanging the same in an high and
windy room (And therefore a plate cupboard full of holes, so as the winde
may haue a thorow  passage, would be placed in such a room, to auoid the
offence of Fly-blowes) This is an approued Secreet, easie & cheap, and very
necessary to be knowe and practised in hot and tainting weather.  Veale may
be kept ten daies in bran.

19. How to keepe powdered [salted] Beefe five or six weeks after it is
sodden, without any charge.
When your Beefe hath beene well and thoroughly powdered by tenne or twelve
dayes space, then seeth it thoroughly, dry it with a cloth, and wrap it in
drie clothes. placing the same in close vessels and cup-boards, & it wil
keep sweet and sound two or three moneths, as I am credibly informed from
the experience of a kinde and louing friend.

#20 goes on to say to keep Beef at sea, take this salted beef (soaked 9 or
10 days in brine), put it in barrels pierced full of holes, tie the barrels
to the stern of the ship & fling them overboard!!  "which, by his infinite
change and succession of water, will suffer no putrefaction, as I suppose"
But he hasn't tried it.

#15 preserves shelled oysters in a pickle made of their own juice, white
wine vinegar, salt & pepper.

#16 preserves cooked Salmon in a close vessel, immersed in wine vinegar,
with a branch of rosemary.

#17 (already discussed?) preserves fried fish in oil.

#18 preserves small pieces of roasted beef in a barrel with wine vinegar.

HTH,

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net