SC - Spicing of Meats (longish)

Brenna of Lyonsbane sunnie at exis.net
Sun Jul 19 17:34:13 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/19/98 12:59:38 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
LrdRas at aol.com writes:

Can anyone help me with documentation for meat dishes called puddings?  I know
that in my in-laws part of the country (a part of South Carolina settled by
Germans and thus called the "Dutch Fork") we make liver pudding.  You take the
organ meat, the tongue, some of the skin, and the well cleaned feet, and boil
it with salt, pepper,  cayennes, and onions until the liver begins to
disintegrate and the dish has begun to be gelatinous.  Cool it and either
shape it into cakes or stuff it into the pig intestines.  When cooled and
shaped, it is called liver pudding.

By the way, this can be kept a week to ten days under refrigeration or canned.
Freezing it changes the flavor of the onions to the extent that the dish is
often inedible after freezing.  Same goes for onion sausage.  In my opinion,
you should never freeze any dish containing onion.

It can be rewarmed and served over grits or rice for a great breakfast
treat.<<smacking my lips remembering the taste.>> Or sliced cold and served
with mustard on brown bread for sandwiches.

Mordonna
I think I'm gonna go to the carneciera and buy some liver and kidneys

Mordonna