SC - fetal???

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 22 14:48:41 PDT 1998

> << I believe that it is tularemia which is being discussed.
>
>  Bear >>
>
> Sorry, Bear, we call it as I spelled it around here, and I didn't have my
> dictionary handy- was talking off the top of my head, being on vacation.
> Will
> check back and correct.
>
> Phlip

No particular problem.  I tried checking the quick ref with the spelling you
gave, couldn't find anything, and remembered tularemia from my survival
training eons ago.

Here's what Utah Wildlife Resources says about rabbits and tularemia:

TULAREMIA IN RABBITS AND HARES

Tularemia is a disease which occurs throughout the Northern Hemisphere and
can be found in many mammals including hares, rabbits and rodents common in
Utah! The disease is also called rabbit fever, fly fever and Ohara's
disease. It has a particular affinity for cottontail rabbits. Tularemia is
caused by the bacteria (Francisella tularensis). Tularemia can be
transmitted to man either by the bite of an infected tick or deer fly,
direct contact through the skin via dressing an infected animal, eating of
contaminated flesh, or inhalation of dust that is carrying the bacteria.

After entering the rabbit's body, via the bite of an infected parasite, the
bacteria quickly multiplies and invades different organs such as the liver
and spleen. If while dressing your rabbits, you notice one in which the
liver, lungs or spleen are covered with tiny, whitish miniature
discolorations or one in which the liver and spleen are swollen, it is
probable that the rabbit has tularemia. Immediately wash your hands with
strong soap and hot water and rinse in disinfectant and discard the carcass.

Tularemia is a serious disease, if left unchecked. But don't panic! Based on
statistics from around the United States, chances of catching Tularemia are
slight!

For the full text, try:

http://www.nr.state.ut.us/dwr/!disease.htm

Bear