SC - Re: Pennsic shin-dig

Chris Peters cpeters at cinemagnetics.com
Thu Jul 23 08:02:47 PDT 1998

> I just thought of something else as well.
>
> My sister almost died upon receivng her first dose of penicillen a number
> of
> years ago. Is this an allergy or something else entirely?
>
> Micaylah

Allergies are histaminic reactions to foreign substances.  Previous exposure
to produce sensitization is a requirement of the process; however,
sensitivity to one member of a class of substances can sensitize you to the
entire class.  Penicilliums are fairly common molds.  Most people are
probably exposed to penicillin long before they are given the drug.  This is
probably true of most drugs, as a large part of our pharmacopeia is derived
from natural sources.

Bear