SC - Oh, Figs!

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 27 21:37:16 PDT 1998

Thanks for your advice guys.

To keep costs down, I handed out one sheet that had the first two pages of
Anne-Marie's  booklet.  These were the pages relating to what to bring to a
feast and/or potluck.  I handed these out to everyone anywhere near the
classroom, including those already headed out to the resturant.  For the 5
kids who came to class, I had copies of the rest of her booklet. The class was
really a discussion, and several enthusastically promised to cook from it.  I
also had copies of recipes sent me and recipes from the net.  too late I
thought about calling the one person I know with some of the cookbooks
mentioned here.

For the bardic itself, though frazzled for time I managed to cook a recipe
from Cariadoc's on-line Miscellany and and another from the Florilegium.

My husband really, really liked "Tart on Ember Day", but we both wondered what
the heck Ember Day is--Ash Wednesday was our guess.  I read years ago, I think
in one of Elizabeth David's books, that yeast dough was used for "coffins".
Was this speculation on her part, since proved yea or nay?  At any rate, I've
used yeast dough as crust for quiche quite a few times, and did so for the
tart. It's much nicer than frozen pie crust when you are pressed for time.  It
thaws in about an hour. I roll it out thin and lay it in the pan, fill it and
then fold the edges over so the top is nearly but not quite covered.  The
recipe went over fairly well, I sliced it in 16 little slivers and only 3 came home.

I also made  "Cherry Bread Pudding" in Stefan's file on desserts and sweets. I
used fresh cherries rather than canned as I found them for $1 a lb.  (I found
the cherries first, the recipe later and would have taken a modern pie if
nothing turned up in either of the on-line files). I made the recipe once at
for the family following the recipe as is.  For the bardic, I re-interpreted
"bread of wastrel ymyncid" as a high quality white bread (not grocery sponge
bread) stale, minced in tiny pieces. I blended the cherries, but not the
bread. I let the bread soak up all the juice as I stirred and that seemed
enough melding for the two ingredients. In the end, they had the same texture.

My husband thought it was about time I'd learned to make a real pudding
instead of the thickened milk we call pudding on this side of the pond. People
were hesitant about eating the "cherry goop", the bottle of whole cream was
encouraging to some, and those that tried it, liked it.

As for my students, well, none of them cooked.  One had driven to Boone and
back to register for college and arrived late with fast food for himself.  Two
others didn't come to the bardic, the others did bring stuff recommended on
Anne-Marie's list, but seemed disappointed that more experienced SCA members
brought KFC, chips or nothing at all.

Bonne