SC - SCA placenames

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Fri Jul 31 21:20:03 PDT 1998

Cindy Renfrow wrote:
(much that kinda shows where Elizabeth David may have got the idea of yeast
dough as cofyn material)

> The main problem with using uncooked bread dough for a coffin is that it
> does not hold a raised shape without a baking dish.

A stiff dough can be shaped to have some bit of wall.  Not very tall.  As tall
as a pie tin certainly. I didn't realize that cofyns were required to stand up
by themselves and be taller than a pie tin.  I've used yeast dough, rolled out
about a quarter inch thick, laid in a cobbler dish (a pie dish about 8" diam,
and 2" deep), I fold the extra dough over the top to not quite cover the pie.

The idea works well for making single serving pies for eating out of hand if
you really squish the edges shut well. (I won't call 'em pasties, cause one of
the first conversations I saw on here was Cariadoc insisting we don't know
what they meant by the word in period, only what it came to mean fairly recently.)

Thanks for answering my question.

Bonne