SC - A curious inquiry...

Thu Jul 9 07:28:20 PDT 1998

> An earlier note referred to "some grains of paradise" as a spice to add to
> strawberry cordial
>
> Can someone tell me what this is?  This is the second reference to it I've
> seen this week, the first being as an additive to a new beer...for a
> Renaissance flavor.
>
> Thanks in advance - Sister Mary Endoline

The seeds of Aframomum melegueta.

The seeds of Elettaria cardamomum (cardamom) are of a related genus, are
sometimes referred to as "grains of paradise," and have been used as a
substitute when the real thing was unavailable.  "Grains of paradise" have
also been substituted for cardamom when it was unavailable.

Currently, "grains of paradise" are used to flavor Samuel Adam's Summer Ale.

Bear