FW: SC - Yikes! I'm teaching a class!

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Thu Jul 9 23:57:58 PDT 1998

Bonne and Meliora,

>I want to start my group off "right" so does anyone have a list of foods
>that can be purchased or made (with little effort) that are close or
>actually documentable ......

For the off-the-shelf approach, you could try this as a do/don't list in
categories, with some basic info, eg...

        FRUITS were eaten raw or cooked, eg stewed or in pies
        DO bring apples, pears, grapes, figs, plums, ...
        DON'T bring bananas, kiwi fruit, mandarines, ...

        PICKLES (blurb...)
        DO bring pickled onions, gherkins, olives, mushrooms, ...
        DON'T bring sun dried tomatoes, capsicum, ...

>I thought of starting really basic and showing them how to make
>Sekanjabin, some biscuits (Prince Biscuit or Shrewsbury cakes) and some
>sauces to go with bought roast chicken/meat (such as Cameline, Garlic,
>etc from Santich).

I think the idea of teaching sauces for roast chicken is really clever!

Another category of easy bake are all the quiche/tart type things -
especially using bought pasry sheets. Tart for Ember Day, Saffron Tart,
Spinach Tart, Brie Tart, etc.

Even easier are many soups - Leek Soup, Soup Dorry, Pease Soup, etc. You
could make it easier by using stock cubes or UHT stock I guess (although I
love making stock).

Basic, clear recipies with not too many steps and not too many ingredients.
Include all the stuff you usually leave out, like a detailed explanation of
cleaning leeks. Bonne's trick of play-testing them on sample teenagers
sounds a great idea.

If you have the time/space/equipment, a step-by-step demo is great, ideally
followed up with a hands on practical with you (and other competant cooks)
helping out. People go away with food and recipies. Having made one
soup/biscuit/tart/sauce/cordial they will feel more confident about trying
others.

Bonne, you wanted recipies. Here is my Spinich Tart recipie (from memory,
but I made it last weekend) with ALL the steps. Since this is meant to be
basic, I'll use all the cheat options...

1 250g packet frozen spinach
30g butter
100 g sugar
1/3 cup cream
4 eggs
1 lemon
handful currants
handful pinenuts
1 shortcrust pastry sheet, thawed
Extra butter or cooking spray

deep 9" tart tin (with removeable base)
large pot to boil spinach (if not frozen), colander, knife and chopping board
wooden spoon
Medium frypan
Large mixing bowl
zester/fine grater

1. Preheat oven to 180F/350C

2. Butter the tart case (or spray with cooking spray). Line the tart case
with pastry, being careful not to stretch it. Trim evenly around the top and
refrigerate.

3. Cook frozen spinach, cook in the butter 5 mins, stirring and breaking up
the lump. Cool.

4. While the spinach is cooling, put the sugar into the mixing bowl, with
the cream. Break in the eggs and mix all together.

5. Either grate the rind (not the white pith) off the lemon using the fine
teeth on the grater, or use a lemon zester to do this. Add to the egg mix.

6. Once the spinach is cool, add it to the egg mix, mixing through well (a
fork might help). Stir in the currants and pine nuts.

7. Take the tart case out of the fridge and pour in the filling.

8. Bake until golden and cooked through. Test after 30 minutes using a
skewer or straw to see if the middle is set or not. When set, remove from
oven and cool.

Serve warm (if possible) or cold.

Hope this adds to your collection - good luck with your classes!
Rowan

Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia