OT - re: SC - No More Sourdough Woes

kat kat at kagan.com
Fri Jul 10 12:43:28 PDT 1998

Renata writes:

>  Great is the wisdom of Bear and UlfR!

>  I followed their advice and this morning created my first real loaf of
>  sourdough. The starter -- which I guess I'm going to have to name
>  soon;) -- lives on my kitchen counter and is getting more attention
>  than my cats.

I have a cute (true) story about this.  (NO recipes included; so delete here if you're not interested.)

Do you remember, in the early eighties, the "friendship bread" craze?  We had a strain of it going around town, and the version we had was called "Herman."

Herman showed up one day in a cute little stoneware crock with a recipe and some care-and-feeding instructions tied to the top.  He was a gift to my mom from her "secret pal."

Herman lived in our fridge for several months.  He was on a 9-day care and feeding cycle.  My mom lovingly cared for him for several weeks, and baked neat little coffee cakes and fruit breads with him.

After a while, of course, it got a bit tiresome; so she relegated the duties to me, her teenaged daughter (under the guise of "cooking lessons," natch.)

Well, I lavished attention on poor Herman, and for the next few months, we went through scads of brown sugar and walnuts as
Herman was created into one bready treat after another.  It got to a point that, when we'd call and invite my brother over for dinner, he'd
ask, "We're not having Herman again, are we?"

It wouldn't have been so bad, except that now all Mom's friends had their own little Hermans growing in the fridge.  And they were all on different 9-day cycles.

Eventually, you couldn't attend a potluck without spotting Herman.  The tables that used to be laden with 3-bean salad and crock pots of chili
mac were now full of quick breads and desserts.  Nary a meatball nor chicken leg in sight!  Mom would bite into something, get That Look on
her face, and I'd say, "It's Herman, isn't it?"

One day my Dad was cleaning out the fridge.  (An unusual occurrence, to say the least.)  Somehow that cute little crockery jar
accidentally fell off the shelf and hit the floor...   ;-)

So be warned, my good friend.  It can take over your life...  <G>

	- kat