SC - Trouting

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 13 00:56:07 PDT 1998

I was wondering if anyone has tried the follwing recipe...
It comes from _The Medieval Kitchen Recipes from France and Italy_ by
Redon, Sabban, and Serventi.  It is Recipe # 64.  Marinated Trout in
Carpione. (Pg. 122)

The translation of the original says:

"To prepare carpione of trout as you would cook a carpione, clean the
trout well and gut them, then pierce them in many places all over with the
point of a knife.  Then make a brine with equal parts of water and
vinegar, adding plenty of salt which you must dissolve thouroughy; and put
the trout in for half a day or more.  And when this is done, transfer
them to a table, putting them under a weight for three or four hours, and
fry them well in plenty of good oil, so that they are nicely cooked but
not burnt.  You can keep these trout for a month, refrying them if you
like, and preparing them again as you would a carpione."

While this sounds all well and good, I am left with a couple of questions:
2) then these fish can be kept DRY for a month? or should they be returned
to the brine?

I will be trying this one out as soon as I get back in town next Monday.
I will let you know how well it works.  I believe that I shall try some
that I keep dry, and some that I keep back in the brine...

Cu drag,
Bogdan