SC - help with source

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Jul 23 22:17:22 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
we are told:
> in English?  Scully gives a reference I want.  In _The Art of
> Cookery..._, p. 45, speaking of the uses of fruits, he says that because
> of their moisture content, rated at 2 or 3,   "it was normal to use them
> as food only if they had been roast or baked, or combined with
> ingredients whose dry nature could overcome some of the excess humidity."
>  He gives a recipe from " the Neapolitan collection, where an interesting
> recipe for fried beans (Fava in padella) calls for figs and apples to be
> mixed with the very dry herbs chervil, sage, mint and parsley before
> being wrapped into a bean fritter."

There is a similar recipe in the Martino manuscript. Fried beans with figs
(or apples, as a second choice if memory serves). Dont remember herbs, but
they may be in there too (sorry, been doing french stuff so long my Italian
is rusty).

> I would like to know how the collection makes the beans into a fritter.
> Also, who has used sage and mint together, and what do you think of it?
> I've never combined those 2, thinking each a strong and distinctive
> flavor; don't they 'fight' each other?

I use the combination in my herbolate, and in my ravioles. Watch your
proportions and the mint ends up a nice "hmmm...there's something here, but
what is it?" kind of presence. Also mincing them small so you dont end up
with a mouthfull of one, and then a mouthful of the other helps.

bon appetite!
- --AM