SC - MacDonalds

THLRenata at aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Fri Jul 31 17:56:04 PDT 1998

Adamantius writes:

>> This is more or less, to my mind, the same situation as occurred about 18
months (I think) ago, when a family in Scotland was barred from doing
businessunder their own name, because a large fast-food chain had copyrighted
it and registered the name as a trademark. Even close variations were
disallowed as part of the trademark registration, and the large corporation
sued them, forcing them to abandon their family name as their business name.
The family had owned a small sandwich shop for about eighty years, under the
same name.
 The name: MacDonald.<<

60 minutes did a thing on this just this last season. It seems that The
McDonald -- the head of the real Scottish Clan McDonald -- has had just about
enough of Mickey D's. It just so happens that he runs an extremely posh
restaurant on his family estate, and guess what he calls it?

Anyway, he's taking Big Mac on -- in court. It should be an interesting case.

Renata