SC - Pine nuts

Yumitori no Kiyoshi yumitori at montana.com
Thu Jun 4 12:31:54 PDT 1998

> I talked to my Mistress and my fiancé and they both agreed that I should not
> do a feast like this because of my feelings on doing non-period type cooking
> events.  I wrote the Autocrat and told him that so now I feel like a Big
> Blue Meanie for not helping out when they needed it.
>
> Murkial af Maun

I can understand your feelings. A couple weeks ago I was helping in our Shire's
tavern at Steppes Warlord. I mentioned that I felt rather strange because I've
gotten so into period cooking and preaching it everywhere I go and now I'm
cooking shish-kabobs, sausage on a stick, bbq chuck sandwiches and breakfast
burritos. But these are dishes the tavern has sold for the last 10 years and
it was the last year for the tavern. Making a tavern of period foods would
be interesting but we just didn't have time.

You are fully in your right to refuse to do a feast you object to. But sometimes
all you can do is shrug your shoulders, try to educate people on the correct
foods and make the best modern food you can.

To make up for this, I am doing dinner for the Queen and her entourage as well
as my Household at an event in two weeks. A nice summer meal of all period
foods for 15-20 people. See? Sometimes you grin and bear it and then a nice
surprise comes your way.

Yers,

Gunthar