SC - Naan

Thu Jun 4 17:31:01 PDT 1998

The following is fromHarlow, Harrar, Hardin and White's _Textbook of
Dendrology_:

The Pinyons or nut pines:
"There are 4 or 5 recognized species, making up a variable group of
hybrids.  See Lanner (1975) for more detail." [Lanner, R.M., 1975.
_Pinyon pines and Junipers in the Southwestern Woodlands: The
pinyon-Juniper ecosystem: A symposium_ Utah State University, Logan.]
"The principle set are as follows:
Pinus cembroides Zucc. Mexican Pinyon ...
P. edulis Engelm. Pinyon, or Colorado Pinyon ...
P. monophylla Torr. & Frem.  Singleleaf pinyon ...
P. Quadrifolia Parl. ex Sudw.  Parry Pinyon ..."

I left out the idetification characteristics, but these are just the
pinyon varieties in the southwest US.  Any pine with wingless seeds are
considered pine nuts, and the ones named above are merely the native US
ones.  The3re are a others that are non-native, but I cannot find the
denro. book for them.
 HTH
Bogdan