SC - Something new to try (was More about pine nuts)

Chris Adler Chris.Adler at westgroup.com
Fri Jun 5 09:39:00 PDT 1998

>THIS STORY IS WHY I DO THAT!!!  I do not want to take any chances and by
bringing the sausage up to temp for at least 15 minutes you kill
>off the bacteria.  Please please please be careful.  I am even more
>nervous about pork products because of trichinosis (sp?).
>
>Eat, drink and be merry
>Avelina Keyes
>East Kingdom

While I am with you on the temperature thing, your fears of Trichinsosis
are mostly unfounded these days.  The parasite that infests the long
muscles and creates cysts (the Trich) are found almost exclusively in
animals that are NOT grain fed.  It occurs in omniverous animals that eat
slops, garbage, or free range, such as bears and the occaisional pig you
get from Farmer John.  The last reported cases of trich. were from folks
that were eating undercooked bear meat.  (Those same people would
probably never hear of eating undercooked pork!) Anything you buy from
the grocery store with an USDA label is going to have been grain fed, and
not likely to offer up any nasty parasites.  It still exists, but it is
wise to know the whys and wherefores.  Most Americans still prefer their
pork well done, but this is largely a holdover from earlier in this
century.   Personally, I like my pork roasts a little on the pink side.
So, you probably still want to cook pork to death for feasts, rather than
suffer the returned leftovers, but for yourself, try it medium rare!
(Yum)

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies