SC - Rock Portraits

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Jun 9 19:27:01 PDT 1998

There are dozens and dozens in my years of SCAing; but I'll simply tell you my favorite:

I finally, finally convinced my mom to go to an SCA event; after her many years of "expressing concern" <I'm being polite ;-) > about my
"unsavory" hobby.  It was a Coronet; but instead of a Tournament of the Roses on the side, they held a Tournament of the Chocolate Chip
Cookies (hey, who are we to argue with a princess's whim?)

My mom and I settled under our Barony's "y'all come" sunshade and
watched the fighting.  I could tell she was not going to change her
mind easily, no matter how wonderful everyone was being and how
colorful and fun the event was -- BUT THEN -- A young fighter came
up to my mom, got down on his knees, and proffered her a chocolate
chip cookie.  He then explained the tradition to my mystified mom.
(Apparently, a knight who was lady-less for the day chose to win that
fight for her because she looked like she needed a smile.)

Her attitude rapidly changed from "your dippy friends" to "when's the next one?"   <hee hee hee!!!>

	- kat