Frying Pan Pastry Recipe [was: SC - Need advice...]

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Jun 11 08:42:06 PDT 1998

     All:

     Being the frugal cook that I am, here is my typical use of harvested fruit.
     I'll use sand plums as an example.

     1.  Eat the fresh fruit, if it's not too sour
     2.  Stew the fruit with a bit of water.  Then drain through
     cheesecloth-lined colander.  Use clear broth for jelly.
     3.  Mash the fruit through a food mill.  Make jam or butter out of the
     resulting pulp.
     4.  If there's not enough jelly broth, add other fruit juice or water to
     make the right amount for your recipe, or mix with leftover pulp to make a
     thinner jam.

     Last year I ended up with beautiful sand plum jelly, sand plum jam,
     peach-plum jam, sand plum-apple jelly.  (I do cheat and use commercial
     pectin, sorry...)  All I threw away was the skins and seeds!

     Leanna of Sparrowhaven
     "His eye is on the sparrow"