SC - OT - Kilts

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Mon Jun 15 09:33:12 PDT 1998

	<deleted>
> First, I did not have a fresh orange and I figured that Eleanor (as I call
> her) was probably referring to a bitter orange rather than a sweet one, so
> constructed my orange by mixing the orange and lemon juices and then
> reconstituting the dried peel in the juice.

The Portuguese imported sweet oranges into Europe early in the 16th Century,
so Eleanor would be as likely to use a sweet orange as a bitter orange.
Chinese oranges, which are the common oranges at the grocery, didn't arrive
until about 1635.

<deleted>
> The result was a pot of bright yellow, very creamy, faintly sweet mashed
> potatoes -- and boy! were they good! They had a citrus-y tang and a
> heavenly
> rose scent. The recipe made about 3 regular servings or 2 Renata servings
> (I
> love mashies!) and the flavor really complimented the broiled pork steak
> (seasoned with pepper, garlic, rosemary and marjaram) I served with it.
>
> Renata

I'll agree with Ras that historically this is more likely a recipe for sweet
potatoes than white potatoes, but  the recipe sounds good either way, so I
may make some of it to go with the left over beef roast from last night.

Bear