SC - OT - Kilts

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Mon Jun 15 18:29:48 PDT 1998

<snip>

>Maybe somebody with one of those wonderful food/herbal books could just nix
>the existance of modern salad lettuce (leaf and "iceburg") all together?  The
>Mediterranean/Middle-eastern cookbook I have (can't remember the name but it
>is the good one with modern and period recipes in it) doesn't seem to have any
>lettuce salad recipes at all.  Cucumber, grain, parsley, onions...
>-brid

Cress From Gerard's Herball - pages 249-251. "Nasturtium hortense.Garden
Cresses. ...Galen saith that the Cresses may be eaten with bread
Velutiobsonium, and so the Antient Spartanes vsually did; and the
low-Countrie men many times doe, who commonly vse to feed of Cresses with
bread and butter.  It is eaten with other sallade hearbes, as Tarragon and
Rocket..."

Lettuce from Gerard - pages 306-308.  "Lactuca. Lettuce. ...Lettuce maketh
a pleasant sallad, being eaten raw with vineger, oyle, and a little salt:
but if it be boyled it is sooner digested, and nourisheth more.  It is
serued in these dayes, and in these countries in the beginning of supper,
and eaten first before any other meate:  which also Martiall testifieth to
be done in his time, maruelling why some did vse it for a seruice at the
end of supper, in these verses...
Tell me why Lettuce, which our Grandsires last did eate,
Is now of late become, to be the first of meate?
Notwithstanding it may now and then be eaten at both those times to the
health of the body:  for being taken before meat it doth many times stir vp
appetite:  and eaten after supper it keepeth away drunkennesse which
commeth by the wine; and that is by reason that it stayeth the vapors from
rising vp into the head."

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net