SC - Authenticity through documentation

kat kat at kagan.com
Thu Jun 18 11:04:02 PDT 1998

Adamantius Wrote :

.................Now, speculation does have some value, and it is only as
good as the information on which it is based, but as long as it is clearly
identified as speculation, there shouldn't be a problem.

So, what does this have to do with period cookery? Only this: extant
recipes and other written sources from the period we are studying are
like the hole in the fence. Do they give us a complete picture? Probably,
almost certainly, not. Do they provide us a better starting point than a
basic knowledge of Old World versus New World ingredients? Yes,
because they tell us most of that anyway, but much more.

<<<<<<<<<<SNIP Asterisx reference (chuckle Obelix, too)>>>>>>>>>

I dislike the use of the adjective "period" in questions of acceptability
within the scope of the SCA: it seems most often asked by people who
are more interested in justifying some preconceived notion of what was
"period", rather than in learning as much as they can about the given
aspect of life in period, and drawing a conclusion based on all the
available evidence.

Adamantius

Good Master Adamantius,

i believe you have hit on what seems to be the crux of the whole
thread: periodism versus hurism (motivating further curiosity and study;
stimulating new perspectives).

If we get stuck on either extreme, we lose the drive that gives our
hobby purpose....staying only in cookbooks and written recipes from
600-1600 can stagnate the field (mindless script following)......and flying
off on toots of fancy all the time invalidates the historical bedrock of our
art.  As a dear woman once said to me:  figure out why you are doing it,
then develop your plan accordingly......all goals are not the same, and
plans are likewise variable.  No excursion should depart from any ut
sound documentable knowledge.......and should be open and honest
about all departure that we may be open to critical review by our peers
(that's equals, not peerages).

We should never be satisfied with what is "Known" read _Fabulous
Feast_) nor should we be arrogant enough to think we can CREATE
knowledge without primary information and accurate understanding of
same.  The type of forum and contiuous presentation for review is the
only sure way to maintain the integrity of our art and hobby.

niccolo difrancesco