SC - Re: seeking recipes (Outdoor Feast)

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Fri Jun 19 19:50:56 PDT 1998

Ras,

When apple cider is first made, it is not fermented.  Perfectly safe for
kids and recovering alcoholics and others who don't want alcoholic
drinks.  Some modern stores put preservatives into the stuff they sell,
so it will stay 'fresh'.  Keeping it refrigerated will also deter
fermentation.  The manager of a convenience store, where I used to live,
didn't know about apple cider.  He made a lovely, intricately built
display out on the floor in the veggie department--good stuff from local
orchards.  Some of us, noticing the tiny bubbles beginning to form around
the top edge, smiled, kept our mouths shut (temporarily) bought it, and
THEN told him about it, so he wouldn't inadvertantly sell it to the kids.
 My gallon went to vinegar about 3/4 gone, so now it lives in a qt.
container in the back of the fridge as cider verjuice.  That's what these
pork chops need!  Excuse me, I have to go 'tweak' dinner!

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com