[none]

Rosina Weber gwendylon2 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 23 07:01:27 PDT 1998

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:32:27 -0600 (MDT) Mary Morman
<memorman at oldcolo.com> writes:

>it was not my intention to cut someone to pieces for an honest effort,
>but
>at what point do we have to set and keep -some- level of standard?
>i've
>made similar negative comments in my time, always with suggested
>readings
>for the entrant, on the use of chocolate, chili, tomato, potato, and
>maize.  am i really as evil as i seem?
>
>elaina

Check out the East Kingdom judging standards. I know I have a copy around
here someplace, but I gave the original to my successor as local MoA. If
anyone's interested, contact me privately and I'll dig them up.  I think
the judging for authenticity goes something like this: 4 points - period
materials and techniques. Could be a genuine artifact. 3 points - period
materials or techniques .... 0 points - obviously 20th century. materials
and techniques not period.  Something like that. The judging sheet made
it easier to score bad entries lower without making negative comments. If
you give the item 0 points for authenticity, it kind of speaks for
itself. Judges comments on the bottom can then be used to compliment the
good things about the entry (assuming that there were any. :-)). We used
this form for an Arts Triathlon I ran in March and it seemed to work
fairly well. We had a few problems with some of the categories (for
example, cooking. We didn't always know what techniques they used, but
that was a documentation problem as much as anything else.) but at least
the entrants didn't have any problems with judges comments. Even with the
worst entries the entrants could see exactly why they got the scores they
got and they realized that it wasn't just the judges being nasty.
Everyone I talked to liked the scoring sheets. Of course, this doesn't
help the problem of a judge who doesn't know what they're talking about,
but I think we were lucky that we didn't have too many problems in that
direction.

Julleran