SC - creations and creativity

Karen Evans tyrca at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 09:54:22 PDT 1998

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> can anyone help? Please send responses to sca-cooks list, or
> charlesn at srl.rmit.edu.au or living-history at gospel.iinet.net.au (but only
> on of those)
>
> Charles/Ragnar

Alisander is probably the same thing as Alexander, which is known in
English as horse-parsley.

Silphium is a little more complicated, I'm working from memory here, so
please bear with me: Sylphium is a plant grown in, I believe, India and
Persia, and its aromatic gum is powdered for use as a spice. The
best-known variety would be asafeotida, also known as hing and
teufelsdreck (devil's-dung). On a related note, silphium appears in some
Roman cookery as a substitute for laser root, an entirely different
plant which appears to have become either unobtainable or perhaps
extinct during, approximately, the early Roman Empire. Anyway, silphium
is pretty rank-smelling, a little like garlic going off, but tiny
amounts of hing powder are often used in Indian curries, particularly
vegetable and fish varieties. The idea is to season the dish and bring
out the other flavors, rather than to make the dish smell or taste of
hing. It also appears pretty frequently in Apician fish recipes.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com