SC - Bounced messages

THLRenata@aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Tue Jun 23 10:17:18 PDT 1998

In a message dated 6/23/98 10:51:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au writes:

<< I came across two seasonings/spices that I am unfamiliar
 with, silphium and alisander. does anyone know what they are?

 Thanks,

 Andrea Willett

Silphium is presumebly a plant which the Romans literally ate to extinction.
Most scholars agree that the use of asefoetida is a viable substitute. It can
be found in stores that sell food common to India. Alisander has me stumped.

Ras