SC - oop/non dairy milk

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Wed Jun 24 15:00:57 PDT 1998

RuddR at aol.com wrote:

> This raises a question on the "Are Creations Period?" thread:  Is cameline
> sauce thickened with matzoh instead of manchet, but following the original in
> all other respects, still "period"?
>
> Rudd Rayfield

Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand the question, so I'll pull a Jimmy
Carter, and answer it in two ways.

If you are positing the theory that Jewish foods of a given ear are
recognizably close to contemporary dishes from other cultures, there
would probably be noticable differences if we can judge from a
comparison of modern foods to modern traditional Jewish foods. Even in
the case of superficial resemblances, there is still a big difference
between quenelles de poissons and gefilte fish. On the other hand, the
chemical makeup of a modern attempt at period cameline made with matzoh
should be practically identical to one made with crumbs from leavened
bread.

Part 2: we don't always know what it is about a dish that typifies it
under a given name. You'd think in the case of cameline, it would be
pretty obvious, but then there are versions of galantine that contain no
galingale. My point is that there is at least one sauce that bears a
strong resmblance to cameline, found in Catalonian, Italian, and various
other sources. It is called mirrauz or mirrauste, and is probably
originally Islamic in origin, and it's pretty similar to cameline but
for the traditional thickening of ground, toasted almonds. It seems
virtually tailor made for use by Jews, but that's not too surpising,
given that the dietary laws of Moses and Mohammed have a lot in common.

Some period sources do include recipes cooked and eaten, in theory at
least, by Jews. Whether or not Jews really ate them is sometimes
questionable, and whether or not they are appropriate for a seder is
also in question.

In short, I dunno...;  )

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy