SC - Re: Dangers of selection pressures

THLRenata@aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 09:56:14 PDT 1998

Someone wrote:

>> In my experience, you can't feed a
>> crowd and instruct them, too.  When I've tried to give just a few words
>> about the feast or some aspect of it, people didn't completely stop
>> talking even for the herald's request for quiet.

Two points:

1. The problem with that kind of instruction is that you are expecting the
90%+ who aren't interested in the subject (and want to talk to their
friends) to listen politely while you pass on information of interest to a
small minority. Pamphlets or classes have the advantage that only the
people who are interested read or go to them.

2. If what you are trying to do is create a medieval experience, talking
about the feast is usually counterproductive, since it is normally done
from a twentieth century viewpoint. Medieval feasts were not accompanied by
short lectures on dates, sources, recipes, ...   .

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/