SC - Pine nuts

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Jun 2 14:16:38 PDT 1998

Tyrca said...
>Could be the difference in species.  When I visited my grandmother in
>Arizona, we would always find places that sold locally-collected wild
>pine-nuts, or pi~non as they are called there.  I found them buttery,
>and almost irresistible.  Perhaps the ones you have tasted have not
>traveled well.  I have noticed in the stores here in Oklahoma that the
>pine-nuts available are imported from Italy. They do have enough
>natural fats in them to go rancid after too long a time.

Wild pine nuts...yum! Pinon and pine nuts are the same thing with perhaps a
small difference in geography making up for small differences in taste but
essentially are the same. Having lived in Mexico I was blessed with having
an almost unlimited supply and at a fraction of the cost here. They do
indeed go rancid eventually however. Try visiting a middle eastern store as
sometimes they carry a variety that is cheaper. And as well, I was told that
there is also a substitution that is similar but not as costly. Trying to
feed 200 on a pine nut dish can easily blow your budget in one fell swoop! I
never did get the name of the substitution but will look into this further
and post accordingly.

Micaylah