SC - A recipe question (unbelievable I know)

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Tue Jun 2 16:35:40 PDT 1998

At 11:30 AM 02/06/98 -0400, Murkial wrote:

>Now my question
>
>In the recipe it tells "take eight dried mild cheese".  I am figuring that
>it doesn't mean eight different types of cheeses, but one   in a quantity of
>eight.  What kind of cheese would they be considering dried mild?  I know
>that green cheese can mean a number of things, but I do not know what to use
>in this recipe.  The author suggests fresh pecorino or mozzarella, but those
>are both fresh.  What is the difference in dried and fresh cheeses if I
>choose to use them?

There is a lot of difference between fresh and dried cheeses, both in
moisture content and in taste. Pecorino has a really distinctive taste!
Drained Mozzarella is not as moist as other fresh cheeses, so that might be
a reasonable option. You could also try baked ricotta, which satisfied both
the mild flavour and the dryer texture. My tuppence worth...

Rowan
Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia