SC - creations and creativity

Debra Hense nickiandme at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 15 20:18:15 PDT 1998

<<Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 13:14:01 -0600 (MDT)
<<From: Mary Morman <memorman at oldcolo.com>
<<Subject: SC - creations and creativity

<snipped>

<<my problem however is the current A&S standards.  My kingdom (the
Outlands) and to the best of my knowledge most kingdoms, have a checklist
that they go through in rating A&S entries.  One of the categories is
creativity.  Last fall one of my apprentices did a masterful redaction of
a period recipe complete with extensive documentation and very tasty
results.  However, she was marked -down- for not being 'creative' in
working with her recipe.  The insinuation was that if she had added some
additional ingredients or a different cooking method then her score would
have been perfect.  This was not by any means the first time that i've had
to deal with this.

<rest snipped>
<<Elaina>>

This problem is the result of improperly written competition criteria in
combination with a misunderstanding of the term creativity as it applies to
different A&S categories.  What should be done is someone gets together
with the Kingdom A&S Minister and either rewrite that particular category
to more properly describe what is meant by creativity as it applies to the
different A&S categories. Or, you propose a new set of criteria to be used
for cooking with that particular item eliminated.  Calontir rewrote their
cooking criteria about five years ago. I don't recall a creativity category
being in the final version.  Aroma, appearance, presentation, taste,
documentation, interpretation of recipe, logical ingredient substitution,
method of preparation, degree of difficulty, but no creativity.

Perhaps this could be discussed in a future issue of Serve It Forth?   With
various people sending in copies of their competition criteria as it
applies to cooking, we could then compare them side by side, and using the
best points of each come up with good set of generic cooking competition
criteria we could then use for interkingdom cooking competitions.

Kateryn de Develyn
nickiandme at worldnet.att.net